View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Ford built last bomber shot down in WWII

Yes, interesting post. I love WWII History.

One thing that always bothered me was, we never had a GOOD tank that could take on the superior German tanks until the very end of the war when they finally got the M26 Pershing Heavy tank overseas. The US just kept cranking out medium and light weight Sherman and Stuart tanks in volume. The idea was quantity not quality. The Sherman was nicknamed the 'Purple Heart Box' by tank crews. German 88's flew thru that tank like a hot knife cutting through butter.

Travel anywhere in the Ardennes today and most of the town squares have a shelled out Sherman on display in the town square, as a tribute to the American Army, but gheez

On a different note, we had a cousin who was an Me109 pilot in a night fighter squadron that got the Iron Cross with Oak Leave cluster for downing 10 heavy British and American bombers. He flew the Me262 at the end of the war, was captured by the British, and remained in the German Luftwaffe after the War teaching Brits and Americans about the new jet fighter aircraft. Interesting fellow!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote