View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
Thearne3

Default Re: How to Restore ‘29 Phaeton Top Irons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I cannot get my print to come out clear enough, but I have repaired and restored enough Phaeton top assemblies to suggest that you NOT use the rubber matting inside the sockets. While the A-37400-*, 37404-*, 37406-*, et/al Top Socket Reinforcements were used as tacking strips for the top, their main job was to be the structural integrity of the top assembly. As mentioned, when the sockets are cracked/broken down at the bottom, this is because the structural portion of the top assembly was allowed to rack from wind pressure and vibrations when being driven. While I am not wanting to cause stress or hurt feelings for Mike, I am going to suggest that you restore the irons correctly.
Thanks, Brent. I will check the crossbows as you suggest. However, I'm still confused as to what to use to properly support the curved internal portions of the bows and also have something to tack to. My confusion is partially because I'm not sure what was there when made? It looks like the steel started flat and was pounded or formed around curved wood?

In the prior restoration it looks like they just stuffed wood fragments into the space and covered with some sort of plastic wood filler. Obviously, that didn't do much for structural support! Also, I'm not familiar with the Top Socket Reinforcements you reference.

Is there any online information on 'proper' restoration?
Thearne3 is offline   Reply With Quote