View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How to Restore ‘29 Phaeton Top Irons?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearne3 View Post
Thanks for pointing out that hard rubber will hold nails/staples well. There must be an epoxy or similar that can be injected/pressed into the curve that would have both strength and staple holding power (like wood!). If not, some combination of rubber strips and glue should work.
I cannot get my print to come out clear enough, but I have repaired and restored enough Phaeton top assemblies to suggest that you NOT use the rubber matting inside the sockets. While the A-37400-*, 37404-*, 37406-*, et/al Top Socket Reinforcements were used as tacking strips for the top, their main job was to be the structural integrity of the top assembly. As mentioned, when the sockets are cracked/broken down at the bottom, this is because the structural portion of the top assembly was allowed to rack from wind pressure and vibrations when being driven. While I am not wanting to cause stress or hurt feelings for Mike, I am going to suggest that you restore the irons correctly.

One little side note on these is to make sure the wooden bows have the correct shape both from side-to-side, and on the side curvature. Also, you can make the tubular rivets that connect the wood to the sockets from brake line tubing and peen the ends which will look just like what Ford did.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 35A Top Drawing.pdf (1.18 MB, 58 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote