View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
Thearne3

Default How to Restore ‘29 Phaeton Top Irons?

Hi all,

I need advice for restoring a previously ‘restored’ set of Phaeton top irons. The set seems solid, but I’m wondering what I can’t see (internal rust, dry rot in the wood, etc). I’ve included a link to a set of pictures.

My goal is not a show car, but I want to stay with original as much as possible. I want to be sure the top is solid, looks ok and is ready for a new top.

The top (and the car) was restored 50 years ago:

• Metal was (probably) sandblasted and painted. Some evidence of welding. Heavy pitting evident throughout, but paint has held for 50 years.

• Wood cross pieces appear to be solid.

• Curved portions of steel filled with wood scraps and covered with plastic wood-like material. In areas that were tacked (#1 back bow and #4 front bow), ‘plastic wood’ is cracked and breaking up. (See pictures)

• Bolts holding front bow to the rest of the top are not original (Sources?)

• Cast end pieces lack distinct notches, etc, for locking in correct position.

• No evidence of water damage since restoration – roof material was intact, but unusable.

Recommendations for restoration? Here’s a list of possibilities - are all necessary?:

1. Complete disassembly: remove all rivets and wood, remove all filler material
2. Inspect hollow sections, treat with rust remover, seal with epoxy paint/fill.
3. Fill curved/hollow sections (with what? I assume original manufacturer pounded metal around wood pieces?)
4. Fill and sand pitted metal
5. Cast end pieces - not sure what these looked like before significant rust.
6. Rivet new wood cross pieces into place (still available anywhere or need to fabricate?)
7. Replace all rivets and cotter-pinned bolts
8. Check for symmetry
9. Paint

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VvdzmWET8DuGakH59

Last edited by Thearne3; 11-10-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Clarify title
Thearne3 is offline   Reply With Quote