View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: A head on a B block

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi Stick,

FWIW .......... just another different experience to share on plugging holes:

I ran a B engine with an A police head for years with no block holes plugged.

This B engine with an A Police head was also previously in my mechanic Uncle's boat for 15 years from 1932 until 1947 -- my uncle was born in 1905 & was a master mechanic -- he knew & taught me to never remove a head when the engine is hot -- so this A, Police high compression head never got warped, nor did the block because we never exceed 55 foot pounds.

Please call Mr. Ron Kelley, engine rebuilder in Texas for an ear full of his experiences & ask him how many heads & blocks he sees overstressed & warped at this center stud because of exceeding 55 foot pounds -- again, just different Model A experiences & input.

We installed this B engine with this police A head in my 1930 Coupe in 1958.

Also, the coolant in a Model A engine or a Model B engine is not at all pressurized.
Maybe just me; but why would this area leak if sealed with a good head gasket on a tight joint even with non leaking with a high compression head.

We always install the head gaskets with non-hardening Permatex No. 2 sealant on both sides .... more input.

However, if the B block or A head is warped here in the center, (where it usually warps at this very high stress point), it appears one may need to plug to plug the holes.

You asked for input, & this is just a different input -- everybody has input if you ask. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote