View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Dan Ewing

Default Generator wiring

After rebuilding my 31 generator , I need a bit of help confirming the wiring hook-up. Here is the way I have it currently wired:

a) the adjustable (3rd) brush is connected to one of the field wires
b) the other end of the field winding (from the second field) is connected to the generator case, ground
c) the ground brush is connected to the generator end plate, ground
d) the output, or armature brush, is connected to the cutout.

Does it make any difference which field coil is connected to the 3rd brush and which one goes to ground? My thinking here has to do with the clockwise rotation (viewed from the pulley end) of the armature.

Here is the story:
My generator showed no charge on occasion but then would sometimes show a charge. I pulled the generator and disassembled. I found the armature brush wire to have a bare spot and assumed that it was the culprit and was intermittently grounding.
I installed a new wire, cleaned the generator, replaced the front bearing and reassembled. I re-installed and now I have the generator running consistently - it does not charge at all. And, yes, I checked the ammeter by turning on the lights and noticing a discharge reading.
I checked the field coils, from one lead through the second coil and out the fourth lead and get a continuous reading. I have not checked the armature. I have checked the brushes for contact against the commutator. With the generator on the car and running, I have checked for voltage at the input to the cutout (generator side) and get a zero reading.
My primary question is the wiring from the field coils as noted in the beginning. Any additional thought s are welcomed.
Thanks for your help,
Dan
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote