View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
19Fordy

Default Re: Dropped axle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
A 40 Ford pickup wants a dropped front axle but only if I can retain the original wishbones unsplit and heat and bend the steering arms for clearance. Can it be done or do I need to alter anything else. Thanks Jon
A 4 inch dropped axle lowers the car 2 in. if you keep the stock spring. A reversed spring eye lowers it an inch more. Posie makes a reversed super low spring for 1940 Fords.
When I lowered my 40 Ford (car) I used the Magnum 4 inch dropped axle that already comes 3/4 in. narrower for better tire/fender clearance. Also used their dropped steering arms. I had no problems with the steering arms bolting on as I took extra effort to use Grade 8 bolts plus Locktit and made sure they did not bottom out theerby causing the steering arm to potentially work loose. Also used the Posie reversed eye spring. This set up did not require splitting of the wishbones and has been on the car 10 + years with no problems. As you know, when you install a dropped axle you have to shorten the tie rod and extend the drag link when using the narrow axle. One thing most folks don't know is that you also have to buy longer grease fittings to replace the lower grease fittings on the king pin. The originals are just below the dropped steering arms and are too short for greasing the car.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote