View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 03:51 AM   #128
32coupe

Default Re: FINALLY…T5 WITH Torque Tube in a ‘35-’40 Ford...The WHOLE STORY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi nz View Post
I am trying to think this one through, I have read a few other T5 threads lately that make reference to close ratio combinations. It seems to me that with the width of the power band of a stock flathead, five gears would be two too many, until you add in the over driven fifith of course.

Nearly 50 yrs ago I had a 1966 mustang, 289, 3spd manual, 2.80:1 rear end.
It was not a combination that many people wanted, but other than its poor handling and shocking brakes the car drove well.

I have allways thought that gear box would be great behind a flat head.

Geoff
Geoff, Come on over and I will take you for a ride and then you can experience what a close ratio T5 behind a flathead is like. You say 50 years ago your 66 mustang drove well. What was the average speed limit on the highway back then? Not sure what it is today where you are at but here where I am speed limt is 70-75MPH and the trouble is even at those speeds you had better have your ass in the far right hand lane or your gonna get run over. Try driving a flathead with a 3 spd 70mph You would have to be going down hill with the wind pushing you and even then the engine is peged and probably getting ready to come apart. I love period correct ford Hot rods as much as anyone, But I also love driving my cars and unless you are just getting it out every other sunday to putter into town and get a icecream cone. The old 3speeds don't make the cut with todays traffic.
32coupe is offline   Reply With Quote