View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 PM   #466
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have been getting the interior ready for glass. There are a lot of details I had put off in my quest to build a wooden car. Now I feel the need to attend to these details before I get on to the final act. One detail was fender welting. One of the many things I should have done in the proper sequence, but is now in place. The glass and the opening windows has been the latest hurdle. The long rear side windows will be bypassing sliders, the rear passenger doors will have a simple but effective manual lift system to be described later, and the front doors will have roll up windows with regulators from an old fj 40 toyota landcruiser 'jeep'. These have a nicely finished steel plate that contains all the works and fastens to the surface of the door panel, not unlike a Ford woodie. The hardest part to figure out has been how to rout the groove for the front door glass into the front door stile which is curved in two directions. One day it hit me.... Use a division bar as you'd see with a wing vent. This steel track could be set up parallel to the straight track in the rear post. I had already bought 100' of glass run channel, but I needed a track to insert it into to create the division bar. Available 1/2" light steel channel was 3/8" on the inside. Couldn't find any steel channel in 5/8". While at my local hdw store I found KV shelf standards in 16 ga steel that were 1/2" inside. The vent window will be a dummy, but now I won't have to rout a straight groove on a compound curve. I have decided to start at the rear and work my way forward as the difficulty seems to increase. Tonight after work I shimmed out the interior of the rear quarters and the inside of the rear 'barn doors' to finally accept the finished interior panels. Here's a few progress photos. All these fussy details are far less fun than creating the large sections that turn an old pickup into a dream car. Thanks for bearing with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg round table and woodie work 135.jpg (37.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg round table and woodie work 128.jpg (40.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg round table and woodie work 139.jpg (63.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg round table and woodie work 093.jpg (49.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg round table and woodie work 098.jpg (57.0 KB, 92 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-02-2018 at 11:26 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote