View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Joe K

Default Re: Diff assembly coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res731 View Post
Since I don't know how many shims I will need under the carrier bearings I can use my test or trial bearings to get close without having to press them on, pull them off etc multiple times. Since these pull of easily it makes life much easier plus less risk of damaging my new bearings.
Bearing preload (and its establishment) exists as a way to "compensate" for small differences between bearings. It also serves to "locate" parts, compensate for reduction in race size occurring during pressing in (interference fit) and allow components to be assembled to optimal situation.

Substituting another "filler" defeats the purpose of pre-loading - because you can never establish EXACTLY the same degree of compression, location of bearing, tolerances of parts in the filler pieces.

You may end up with a "loose" bearing (causing roller skid) or a tight bearing (causing brinnelling of the race, and a hot bearing, or failure.)

Bearing preload is "individual" to the components being loaded. It brings them together to a "one and only" conformance - specific to that assembly.

Check out a good description of the whys and wherefores of bearing pre-load at https://www.bearingtips.com/preload-...-applications/ He discusses ball bearings (angular contact) but the theory is the same for roller bearings.

Again, I would follow Tom Endy's instructions. If you're having problems establishing a preload (as you found it with NO gaskets) then something is not right in the assembly.

I'm thinking someone may have modified the carrier?

One solution which MIGHT bring you to a proper gasketed condition would be to put the shims BETWEEN the two halves of the carrier - and then you could use proper gaskets - but (thinking out-loud) this might cause a need for shims under the differential gears/axles to bring the bevel gears closer to the spider gears? I think we saw that as a possible cause (bevel gear seat?) which perhaps a previous rebuilder may have corrected by shaving the carrier halves?

Joe K