Thread: $$$$ worth $$$$
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #43
DougVieyra

Default Re: $$$$ worth $$$$

Roadster top rests over trunk/rumble area are indeed necessary for resting the roadsters top, while it is laid down.
As has been said previously, they are not correct nor original to the coupe with a rumble seat. Also as has been said earlier, when they are used, it is as a 'dress up' enrichment. However, as a practical matter, they are a 'pain in the butt' (or more accurately - the ankle) and act as a hindrance and safety risk when anyone over twenty-five tries to act young and climb into the awkward-accessing 'Rumble Seat'

That not withstanding, I see a lot of potentially 'nice' features on this car, which indicates that the restorer built it for functional driving in today's fast and crowded streets and highways. And who know what other improvement features have been added that we do not see.

But to answer the original post - how much is it worth ?
My grandfather bought one new in '31, for about $500. So, I figure that this one (with 80+ years of depreciation) ought to go for about $100.

Of course, some would argue that depreciation is more than countered with the U.S. Dollar's INFLATION ! And then too, some would argue that 'improvements' also raise the price : 'C' engine, Mitchel transmission and Over-Drive, electronic ignition, Stromberg Carb. with down-draft manifold, exhaust headers, Aries s/s muffler, Flat-head Ted brakes, water/oil gauges, Roll-down rear window, etc., etc. And then there is "paint jobs", and then there are paint jobs; Ford metal (fenders, etc.) verses after-market.

I went for the 'real deal' (all of the above + side-mounted spares, trunk behind Rumble Seat, etc.) - basically a 'Show Car' that had been retro-fitted for touring. It looks like the photo (Ford Maroon) that Jerry Kzoo posted above. I paid $18,000 for mine. So depending on 'what is under the hood' and how she drives, I would join the majority of other who posted here previously and say $10,000 - $12,000 should be in the 'ball park' for this yellow coupe. Of course, the answer may lay somewhere between the $10,000 at the low end, and $18,000 at the high end. It depends on 'what is under the hood' and how she drives - and how much of the car was put together with Henry Ford parts and how much was not. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but not necessarily a thousand dollars. It takes much more than a photo to tell the whole story. That being said, it sure 'looks' like it ought to be worth $10,000, maybe more.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 06-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote