View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
34fordy

Default Re: Discontinuing search for .33 micro-farad capacitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"34fordy" - Just curious; have you had your coil rebuilt or is it original?
To make a short story long---When I bought the car in 2014 (the first flathead since my 40 coupe in 1962) the previous owner had put a remote can coil up on the left head. Wired backwards. Just ruined the look of that side of the engine. I thought I wanted the original setup. I did some searching on the Internet as I had no idea what was available. Ended up buying an old Ford script coil that this seller advertised as "dried out" His ad said moisture was a problem in the early coils. Not knowing poop from putty about early Ford ignitions I took a chance. The system has worked beautifully for 6 years. I took the distributor out last year and the points had no transfer. I drive the Fordor less than 2k miles per year as that is what my insurance specifies. I carry a spare Ford condenser in the glove box. In my humble opinion, I think the Ford system, as built in the 1930's was very suitable for the demands I put on the car. I have installed quite a few Petronix ignitions on Hyster Continental 6 cylinder fork lift trucks years ago and did experience some problems with the rotors failing. Possibly from the heat. (Guess I made the answer long enough?). LOL The coil has never been apart Denny.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote