View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: I rebuilt my transmission (With a lot of Help)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Great Job - glad you tackled it . . . is not that difficult if you have the right parts, the right tolerances, etc.. I have a precision 'surface grinder' that really helps me set the main-shaft end-play (minute work on the thrust washers) as well as the cluster gear back-lash. It can remove .0005 or less at a time. I keep the tolerances on the lowest side of the specs.

I buy a lot of parts from Mac - he's a solid dude. I just sent Charlie NY four loaded main-shafts to do some magic on the 2nd gears. He, Mac and I all believe that having very tight tolerances/fitment in the main-shafts, cluster shafts and second gears is critical to stopping the all too common "it pops out of 2nd gear on heavy deacceleration" problem that so many folks experience.

I'm currently rebuilding four 39 transmissions, two with 25T LZ gears (need spares for my HotRods . . . ). I actually wish I had a better transmission option for my 32 Cabriolet - but I don't want to modify the dang frame. I only wish I had a 37 LaSalle transmission that was modified to fit in a 32 with a stock torque-tube. Anybody have one laying around???
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote