View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
koates

Default Re: 3-brush gen problems

Adam,, The 3 brush 6 volt Ford generators 1934 to 1938 are capable of a safe continuous output of about 15 amps . The field wire connected to the third brush can be removed and connected to an outside insulated terminal on the generator case. The third brush is removed. A later 6 volt 3 unit Ford type regulator can then be connected to the generator.. One problem here is all of these regulators are made and adjusted to suit the later generators which are rated at about 30 amps on the current regulator and that is too high for the early generator to handle safely. The current regulator which is the center unit inside the regulator then has to be adjusted down to around 15 amps which does not always work very well. This adjustment has to be done by someone who knows what they are doing and using the older type analog gauge test set. (An Auto Electrician). I have done this modification several times and it works OK. The Fun Projects round regulators did become available again recently as I did purchase one from a dealer here in Victoria, Australia. Maybe they are just temporally out of stock. I will find out what is going on and report back. I have a Fun Projects regulator on my 34 Ford with original generator and it works very well. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote