View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #17
29spcoupe

Default Re: Woven brake linings and Cast Iron drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
I am going to be a pain in the butt here.

Can you give more details?

What was the contact area on the shoes?

How close was the diameter of the shoe to the drum?

What condition were the other parts?

What size are the drums?

What steps did you do to the shoes to make them ready for the drums?

What is the top speed you drive at?
What do you consider great brakes?

My 30 fordor did not have brakes as in 200 feet at 30 MPH when I got it. I stopped driving it at slow speeds when I almost rear end someone and I was going slow. None of the brake parts were good or assembled right. There was like 10% shoe contact. When I got done with steel drums and woven linings I felt good at safely stopping quickly from 55 MPH. That was before I could get the shoes arched to the drums and do a good job centering the brakes like I can now. I know now that car could stop even better then what I had working then.
As I said, my car was restored 10 years before I bought it and seldom driven. It would not stop worth a damn. I adjusted them following the instructions in the red service book and they still didn't stop the car. After talking with a few Model A guys, I bought the woven linings and replaced the linings on the shoes. The car now stops fine. I usually drive at 45 to 50mph. I don't personally don't need to know all the other details. The car stops fine at those speeds, and that's fine with me.