View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Woven brake linings and Cast Iron drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgross1930 View Post
Bonded lining means bonded to the shoe using a bonding process that uses a special adhesive. The solid looking linings, as compared to woven, are “molded” linings. Some molded linings are bonded and some are riveted. I have also seen woven linings that were bonded and of course riveted which is what we like for Model A’s.

The softer the lining material, the greater the coefficient of friction. Ford made a “soft” molded lining, I think about 1932 or so, maybe later, that had a greater coefficient of friction than the typical “hard” molded lining. The woven lining, being soft, has a higher coefficient of friction.

There are only a few things that one has to really consider: the type of brake system and the pressure it’s capable of applying and the coefficient of friction of the type of lining used. A brake system that has a weaker applied pressure, i.e., mechanical brakes, requires a soft lining that creates more friction, such as woven, to have the best brakes with that type of system. A brake system that has a strong applied pressure, i.e., hydraulic brakes, needs a harder lining with a lower coefficient of friction, such as a hard molded lining. If a lining with too high of a coefficient of friction, such as woven, is used on hydraulic brakes, the brakes can grab or lock up. On the hand, a hard molded lining used on mechanical brakes will not supply enough friction relative to the pressure applied on the shoes, and the brakes will be poor as compared to woven linings.
Could you please give references to prove what you have stated?

I am not saying you are wrong. I do not know for fact about some of what you have stated above.

What is the friction ratings of the linings? Where is this written?

What says the hydraulic brakes are applied harder then mechanicals in the same application?

Where does the idea that you need harder linings for hydraulic brakes vs mechanical brakes and how does it translate to the Model A/ V8 brakes?

Again, I am not trying to be a smartass or trying to disprove you. I do not know if what you said is true or false and want to see it for myself in reliable documentation.

What you say may seem to have intuitive sense, but I like to back up intuition with data. True data about the brakes system on the A has been difficult to find. I have bought some early manuals and other documentation in hopes of getting hard fact and have not found much about various brake issues that I have questions about in my mind.

Thanks