View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #28
Blue-Truck-Nut

Default Re: New-to-me '29, Butchered Fenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-o-matic View Post
Thanks man, I've enjoyed messing with it so far, and I'm just getting started. I picked up a couple of repair manuals recently, and found some cad templates to create new floorboards with. I'm certainly not afraid to navigate atop a saddle blanket either. I've sat on much worse!

I just need to make sure the engine is going to run before I start digging in too deep. I'd like to locate a set of used tires that don't cost an arm and a leg too.

What sort of heat exchanger do they usually have? I'm not at all familiar with the heaters on these things, so I'll have to follow the ductwork to see what all is still there and how it works. I presumed it's like an old VW, where the exhaust manifold heat is caught by the heat exchanger, then pulled into the cab with a fan. (?)
You nailed it. Warm air off the exhaust is directed through the firewall. Stock they did not have a heater, so if you have one, it's an aftermarket. There are several variations on the same idea, most I've seen use an aftermarket exhaust manifold with sheet metal ductwork around it. Some have a register in the floorboards below the fuel shutoff, some, like the one on my father's pickup, have a cable that works a valve behind the manifold, and a spout in the floorboards.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote