View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: New Engine from Todd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
Brent,

Thanks for your comments.

I know who your engine builder was and I'm so happy that you no longer use him because of the 50% failure rate you were obligated to warranty.

I will not mention your rebuilder's name, but you endorsed him in an earlier FordBarn post.

Regarding your machine work, I'm happy that you are now rebuilding Model A engines in-house.

Are your machines accurate to 4 decimal places?

Can you explain to FordBarn members how you verify that a Model A cylinder block is rebuildable?
Steve Becker at Bert's finds that 1 out of 12 engines are economically rebuildable and can be guaranteed.
How do you verify that the pan rail has not been machined in the past?
How do you verify that the upper deck is parallel to the pan rail?
How do you verify that the cylinders will be perpendicular to the pan rail?
How do you remove rust deposits from the water jacket?
How do you verify water jacket wall thickness?
How do you verify that there are no fatigue cracks in any of the parts?
What is your remedy for worn camshaft bearings?
Do you add material to restore original surfaces or do you remove material?

Your reply with answers to the above questions is very important.

What is the cost of a rebuilt engine from you and what is your guarantee?

All of these questions are very important for you to answer because it will help people make decisions about whether to have you or others rebuild an original engine or buy a "New Engine".

If you don't reply, people will have a hard time making a decision.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Oh goodness Terry, this seems like we are playing games on a 3rd grade level, ...and from my vantage point maybe should not be discussed in an open format on someone else's platform. With that said, I will honor your request and answer some of your questions in generalities which might potentially assist others in making the right decision for themselves.

Yes we do offer a warranty (-which I feel is one of the best in the industry). Yes, I own quality engine machining equipment capable of holding tolerances into the tenths. Additionally we are likely adding a CNC machining center to our equipment line which potentially could raise our level of craftsmanship past the amount of decimal places you asked about. We also use both a wet & dry magnetic particle inspection tester, a sonic tester, and thermo-pressure testing equipment to check for some of your concerns listed above. And yes, we do have other specialized equipment that we oftentimes use to correct and/or repair wear/damage to each piece of the customer's project.

FWIW, unlike some other shops (-and maybe that applies to you too) we have our own equipment to use inside of our own facility for the sole purpose so we do not need to rely on the craftsmanship (i.e.: machine work) of an outside source which at times can be found to be inferior and/or outside of acceptable specifications which cause Q/C issues at a later date. Many of us can attest to having first-hand experiences with this type work which left a bad taste in our mouths.

One other point that I feel should be considered about my shop is that we are 'Restorers' and not just parts exchangers. Not everyone that we assist has the desire, -nor the option to replace their engine block. We want to be problem solvers to those who may not feel your product is a good solution for them. Therefore we are just trying to be full-service shop offering a value to a customer with their engine rebuilding needs. Nothing in my post should be construed as detrimental or derogatory to you and/or your products(s).

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote