View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Model A Ron

Default Re: 6.1 Head / Carburetor Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I install 6:1 (-when they are available) and typically use a rebuilt Model-A Zenith Carburetor. I sometimes will deviate from that if there will be a camshaft change to something like an IB340 camshaft and 1.750 intake valves with enlarged bowls. In that case, I offer to upgrade to a Model-B carburetor and a modified Model-A intake manifold for a tad more airflow. Even with a 6:1 head, IB330 camshaft, and larger valve work, the stock Zenith carburetor that has had the jets flowed will perform satisfactorily.

The two or three things that I would consider for my car is the plumbing required for other carburetors. If running a downdraft carburetor in the mountains, an electric fuel pump is generally needed. Plumbing the fuel system where it is not dangerous is often difficult and expensive to do it properly. The overall aesthetics of the engine compartment is something to consider. We have all discussed how an alternator looks out of place on a restored Model A. I feel a downdraft carburetor does the same. I embrace (-and favor) modifications that assist performance that don't alter aesthetics. When this happens, it really is no longer a restored original car, -but it meets the qualifications of being a street rod (-and nothing wrong with that if that is your goal.).

The third thing in this is what is right for my car vs. what is right for your car is a touchy subject. My advice is you are way too new at Model-A ownership to know what is right or wrong for your own car. You need to drive the car WAY more than 300 miles or so, -and you need to participate with fellow Model-A enthusiasts for awhile before you start making wholesale changes to your car. As you participate in events, there will be certain vehicles that stand out in performance. You will also likely find modified vehicles that are always breaking down or causing drivability issues for the owner. Discussing those cars with their owners will give you a much better understanding for what is right for your car.
Brent
You may be right on me getting more experience with a Model A as I am still in the stage of discovering just how simple the Model A is. That is why I am simply asking questions.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote