View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
bavArian

Default Re: Can't separate axle shaft from carrier

That was my first thought too, but even when my helper centered it and I pushed it or hit the threaded end of the axle with a hammer, it immediately tilted to one side and seized up upon traveling a certain (very small) way. (the axle shaft is basically scrap anyway)
It feels like a part of the surface of axle or carrier has broken out and blocks the shaft as soon as you try to pull it out. I can't see any damages though and when pushing with a small wire down between shaft and carrier, I can push evenly deep at all points. So I guess it's a part of the bearing surface that's damaged OR there's some dirt or a metal flake right before the bearing surface keeping the axle in place.

Weirdly, if the shaft is completely pushed INTO the carrier (normal driving situation) it rotates freely without any problems.

I'm thinking about forcing the axle shaft out with a hydraulic press but I fear that I end up damaging the carrier when doing that.

I don't know if spare carriers are available in the US, but in Germany they certainly aren't.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to tackle that problem?
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote