View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rusted block, repairable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckxyss View Post
Thanks for all your replies. What's the issue of shaving the deck too much, too little material left or piston clearance. Obviously it stay outside for a long time and the pitting will compromise sealing, two cylinders are pitted too that's why it needed to be sleeved. A crack have been fixed already and the block suppose to have been pressure tested.
I don't think it have been shaved before, you can see a "M" stamped on the surface at the top of the upper cylinder and it's still very clear. I will try to measure the pitting but I will remove the remaining rust with electrolysis before.
Best regards.

If I were in your shoes, I would find the best antique engine rebuilder in your area.

If it were in my shop, I would treat it as a rare or 'one-off' engine where replacement was not an option. Terry is correct on the pan to deck measurement however if we did not have a measurement (-and I would do this anyway on this particular block) I would use a sonic tester and map out the areas that are pitted to know the thickness in all the areas. If I recall correctly, the Ford print called for 0.375" deck thickness, and as long as it measures 0.350" or greater after a surfacing, you are probably OK. If not, then I would use a TIG and something like Muggy Weld 77 to fill the pits. Preheat the block, fill the larger pits, stress-relieve and resurface. Not going to be cheap, but the repair would be solid.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote