View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #7
rackops

Default Re: Pelican Grey, Canadian and Export Cars

Resurrecting this old post as it just popped up in my google search for Pelican Grey.

I own a 1928 Phaeton that was originally equipped with CA8682 (not far from CA8625 that @Bick in New Zealand mentions). The car was restored in South Africa between 1984 and 1988, where it acquired this (in my personal opinion) fairly hideous paint job.

That said...I almost wonder if the fellow who restored it had an idea of the Niagara Blue and Pelican Grey version. Sadly, he's passed away so I can't ask him, but back in the 80s...maybe he actually tried to get the car to a scheme he thought was correct.

Through my digging on the car, I believe I've found the original color, which was Light Arabian Sand (and it would have had the corresponding "normal" colors for trim and pinstripe). I say that I "believe" to have found the color as that's the match in a couple of weep holes under the back seat...so I'm kind of grasping at straws!

I've corresponded with the fellow who found this car on a farm outside Perth in 1960, and his recollection of the car's color was "RUST", so not much help there! He restored it to what he chose for colors, which was Bronson Yellow with a Seal Brown belt (kind of yikes...)

The point of where I'm trying to go with this ramble of a post is that my wife and kids like the blue color, and would rather have me keep the car blue than go for the Light Arabian Sand. If I can somehow figure out if these were legitimately painted Niagara Blue (with or without the grey belt) I might just go ahead and make them happy.

Now to find a sample of Pelican Grey to see what I'm working with...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_11.jpg (103.4 KB, 100 views)
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote