View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #63
LeonardS

Default Re: 1929 Pickup interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
While I somewhat agree with what is being said, there is a side of this that I feel is not really being discussed/considered. The purpose of the publications that both clubs produce is to provide information (-which theoretically perpetuates the hobby) -AND to offset the expenses of an entity that preserves the Ford Model-A. Many of the answers that people post here are information that came directly from a publication that came thru the National club's efforts. So preserving the integrity of where that information came from can be a sensitive topic for some, ...especially if they know the backstory and how it came to be.

Now bringing this closer to home, ...I think it is no secret that Ryan receives a dividend by providing this platform. Before him was Shelley & Peter, and before them was Gus. If the financial dividend that Ryan receives from this forum were to cease, then what is the likelihood that Ryan would be interested in continue to provide all of the funding and/or the labor associated with making sure Fordbarn is there for us to share information?? That same mindset can be applied to the national clubs and their publications that continue to provide funding for them. The same for MAFFI.

I realize that not everyone enjoys "judging" however that was the catalyst that has made the Model-A as popular as it is today. Most people have never taken the time to understand just how instrumental George DeAngelis and other forefathers were at collecting information, -and the information was utilized which when used to restore, created more questions and the need for more answers. This is how the research (-and subsequent adjudication) propels the hobby to be stronger. So much good has come from this research even with mechanical components that we often overlook how we got here. If the research had not come about, then would we still be using JC Whitney and Western Auto cheaply made replacement parts? If original type fabrics had not been researched and reproduced, what would the interiors of most Model-As look like?? We have all seen Model-As that have incorrect upholstery, paint, and other components on them, ...and look at the diminished value of those vehicles when compared to one that is aesthetically correct. I feel that value is a direct correlation to the publications from the national clubs research. Therefore shouldn't we be respectful to the ones who have provided this information for us -and maybe not take the stance that we now should be entitled to it?? Maybe not, ...but I know I have invested a tremendous amount of time & effort in to the knowledge I have regarding Model-As, ...and the knowledge I have is extremely pale by comparison to many of the ones before me.

You are preaching to the choir here. I have all of these books and paid full price, not on the secondary market. I still feel that sharing a correct pinstripe placement or correct upholstery grain shouldn’t require a member to buy all the books to answer their one question. Most of us are happy if our cars are fun and enjoyable, not worried about complete correctness. I will always error on the side of helping someone vs telling them “go buy your own”. Maybe we were just brought up differently.

Last edited by LeonardS; 01-11-2022 at 12:55 PM.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote