View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Default Re: '57 F-100 Ignition Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
The instructions are confusing that’s why I asked the question. If I run a fuse........which terminal as noted above ?
Thx
If you run a new wire for the choke heater it should connect to the IGN or 'C' (coil) terminal on the ignition key switch.

ST = start position of the key switch, powers the starter solenoid.
BATT = battery power to the key switch.
IGN = power to the ignition coil, thru the ballast resistor
ACC = provides power to the accessories without powering the ignition circuit

With any luck there is a Red with green stripe wire from the Ign/Run terminal of the ignition switch to the Ballast Resistor (wiring diagram link & 2 ballast resistor examples below).
There is also a black wire from the other terminal on the ballast resistor to the '+'/ign terminal of the ignition coil. Don't connect the choke heater wire to these terminals.

You should be able to connect the choke heater wire to the same terminal on the ballast resistor as the red/green wire from the Ign switch. This will power the choke heater any time the ignition is on. The choke heater is fairly small and shouldn't draw too much power for the red/green wire.
Or connect another wire to the 'Ign' position on the key switch and run it to the choke heater. A fuse in that new wire where it connects to the Ign switch is a very good idea.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...re5765-195.jpg

I like a few after-market things on my old car as much as anybody else (elect choke, stereo, driving lights) but... 'Keep it Simple' is a valid approach too. The less parts you add, the less things you have to create other problems in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballast resistor.jpg (66.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg resistor c.jpg (148.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-28-2017 at 08:19 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote