View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
WHN

Default Re: High Compression Head Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Well I took everyone's advise and drove my car along with as many Model A's that I could to help decide on what High Compression Head to get.

First off the most performance I had the opportunity to test drive was the Lion Head. This was the most power by far however it does not look stock and to be honest I was not looking to build a race car with an engine that looks modern. My vision was to drive my Model A at a constant 55 to 60mph when needed without turning the engine to fast and keep it looking stock.

Next was the Snyder's 6 to 1 and 5.5 to 1 heads. I had the opportunity to test drive both on Stock Model A's. In my opinion and remember everyone has one....I could not tell a difference between the two. I then watched a recent Paul Shinn video and he did not recommend anything higher than the 5.5 so I went with that one. Paul has done so much to bring younger people into the hobby including myself and I value his opinion.

I installed the head early Saturday morning and since then I have logged 100 miles on it. I now notice that it pulls much better from about 20mph all the way up to 55/60 mph. The engine is still turning to fast in my opinion to go a constant 55/60 but with my soon to get Mitchell OD it should have no problem.

More noticeable than the acceleration is my Model A's new found ability to climb hills. I just went for one of my standard rides through a local State Park with lots of hills. The speed limit is 25 and I always had to drop into 2nd as I would loose speed....with the 5.5 head staying in 3rd was not a problem at all.

I highly recommend the Snyder's 5.5 head and if your on the fence I hope this helps you decide.

Regards,
Ron
Great looking engine compartment. Nice job.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote