View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #51
John Butts in CT

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

Great thread!

Where to start?

I was born in '52. I recall several older cousins and friends of my parents who had "A's," either as daily drivers or "in the shed to be restored some day." A 1929 Fordor (nicknamed "Methuselah,") lived across the street fom me.

In '67 I acquired my first (and current) ride... a late '31 Tudor. At that time you could purchase 4.75/5.00 X 19 tires off the rack at the local Firestone store, and a visit to the local garage on a Saturday morning (if you could stand the cigar smoke) allowed a "kid" to learn about "A's" and, err, "stuff" from the "old-timers." (Much like Fordbarn today.... except for the cigar smoke.)

Anyway... I introduced my college girlfriend to my Ford in '71. Since '31, my Ford has morphed from Thorne Browne to rustbucket to Ford Maroon to Brewster Green, and from "my Ford" to "our Ford." That '71 girlfriend is still my wife, and remains remarkably unchanged. Today's our 36th anniversary. Our sons and future daughter-in-law tolerate my fixation with the "A." All's well.

In closing, if you're ever called upon to explain the allure of the "A," think of this: "If cars were dogs, Model 'A' Fords would be Golden Retriever puppies." 'Nuf said?
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote