View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
DougVieyra

Default Re: Electronic Ignition

The "Best Way to Go" , largely depends on why you drive your car and how you drive your car. Today's (as always) Model A's are purpose built. If you drive a lot and do a lot of long distance driving, or want faster speeds, then you might want to consider what is now called "A Touring Engine", which would include an Electronic Ignition system, with it's more powerful (and EXPENSIVE) coil, along with modern spark plugs and wires. You can not use the original Ford 'Pop out' switch with this system, and must also buy a modern replacement ignition switch and cable. The change over to Electronic Ignition really is much more (time, effort, money) than just switching a stock distributor for E.I.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the uniqueness of driving and maintaining an antique car, and the more personal inter-action with your Model A, then you would be more 'in sinc' with a stock factory system.

You need to give some real serious thought about 'Why' you want to drive your Model A, and the demands you expect of it.

I have done it both ways. My '31 Dlx Coupe is to remind me of my youth, so it is 'hopped up' (including an Electronic Ignition system). My '28 Phaeton is a bone stock factory-built car, because I love to interact with 'the genuine article' - the REAL Model A.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif. -

Last edited by DougVieyra; 10-01-2014 at 01:26 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote