View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #31
David J

Talking Re: 1932 Roadster Frame Rail Sag

Smacking the bulge with the rail under pressure is an old and good trick .

DO NOT HEAT the rails .
Many make that mistake and then wonder why it bends so easy in that spot after .

I cannot find it right now but I have a pic of a new 33 2d and the fit of the hood and door to the cowl is TERRIBLE !!!!
Again this was a new car .

Chances are good your car was not better new THAN NOW AFTER TWEAKING THINGS .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHRsc View Post
Thank you, guys. I have things improved greatly... Still not perfect but I may just throw in the towl for now and call it good enough after a bit of shimming around at the cowl. Another issue that was amplifying the issue is that the b pillar area of the quarter was pushed inward causing the body line not to flow nicely down the length of the car. First I jacked the car up and removed the rearend. I put the entire car resting on the bumper irons on jack stands. And let gravity do the work for me, then smacked the side of the kickup at the bulge. A friend called and offered the idea that this worked well on his car. It did do quite a bit to help the problem (I loosened body bolts a bit before this)... Next I decided to tackle the B pillar issue...so I took out the whole seat and pushed from the base of the drivers side across to the top of the pass side, meanwhile pulling the bottom of the door with a ratchet strap. This work surprisingly well. It's still not perfect but it's a lot better. I started fooling with the adjustments at the cowl to try to overact the possible slight bend at the K member area. Again this hasn't gotten perfect but overall it's not too bad. I think after a bit more time spent with bolts and shims, I may just call it good enough. In the end it's just an old car and the paint is. Failing anyways. So it's a job to spend more time on down the road if I ever decide to make the car a bit nicer. It appears to only have ever been painted on the outside in the early 50s so it's largely all original underneath and I'm doing my best to preserve that appearance for now.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote