View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Wheels, would like opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMuir View Post
And this is the 4”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DMMuir .....You got it backwards, kind'a like Mart indicated above. Here's the deal. All '40 and '41 Ford wheels were 4"-wide between the beads. Virtually all of the 4"-wide wheels had the two PARALLEL, vertical surfaces like your first picture above.....ALTHOUGH a few folks contend that SOME late '41 4"-wheels have the "ONE-SIDE-SLANTED" drop-center. I have never personally seen one of these critters, but would love to see a "one-side-slanted" wheel that actually measures only 4" between beads. GENERALLY, you can count on the "one-vertical-surface-slanted" wheels as being '42-'48, and being 4-1/2" between beads. And be careful, as there are a bunch of 'similar-appearing' 15" wheels that came on '53-'56 pick-ups that had the "one-side-slanted" configuration which are 5", AND 5-1/2" wide....BUT they are ONLY15" wheels!

I see that your 4" wheel above was green like the car. If you have four wheels that are green like that, had you considered ONLY blasting the inner part of the wheels (including the INNER beads) where the tire is mounted, maybe leaving the original paint and 'character' on the visible part of the wheels.....possibly more in line with matching the 'used' (yet original) look already on the car? Just a thought, although you'd be better off using 4-1/2" wheels if you have access to four of them! If you've maybe considered the 'big 'n little' tire look, you could always run two 4-1/2" wheels in rear, and two 4"-ers in the front. Many, including myself, have done that. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote