View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Dual chamber master cylinder for drum brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post
Need to replace the master cylinder on my '55 Ford. Keeping stock drum brakes. Is there any particular late '60s-early '70s dual chamber MC for drum brakes that someone can recommend that you have used in this application? I think dual chamber MCs became standard on everything around '66 or '67. I remember a '69 Dodge A-100 van and a '72 Ford pickup I had both had dual chamber MC, drum brakes all around, and no power booster. Wondering if one of those might work, or something for a mid-size Ford car of that vintage? I can do the brake line plumbing to separate front and rear brakes. I know Rambler was the first to have that feature in the early '60s.

Make sure you will have sufficient pedal travel to completely bottom out the piston(s) in the master cylinder. Check before adding the brake fluid.

When you lose fluid/pressure on one side of a dual master cylinder the pedal will go almost completely to the floor before any braking action occurs. If the linkage is not engineered right, the pedal may hit the floor before the piston in the master cylinder travels far enough to apply the brakes.
When all is buttoned up and bled, crack a bleeder screw loose on a rear wheel cylinder and see if you can stop (don't do this in the garage in front of your work bench!). Close the rear bleeder and repeat on the fronts. Rebleed if necessary.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote