View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
sawzall

Default Re: What to check on a 46 Mercury

the 114 wheelbase means that some parts cross to ford, and you either like the grill or dont. I prefer the larger mercury grille over this, but thats simply a personal attraction..
I have both a fullsize merc and a 46 ford project. yet its interesting that until I studied both of the last two pictures you posted, I thought that the bumpers on 114 merc and the larger were identical. From photos, and considering it futher It appears that the 114 merc might have a bumper Narrower than the larger merc. Personally I havent interacted with a 114 merc so my experience is limited..

I dont want to comment on mechanicals.. as I am largely a hotrodder, but honestly if the rockers are solid, and the trunk floor is solid these cars are hard to beat. it will be a different ride than your previous car, and should feel more solid. acceleration and handling are not on par with today, but not what a model a or T would be.

I don't THINK it should have a tool tray, as I think somewhere in mid 1947 ford did away with that, If you look at it, Id love to see if it does have the tool tray.. fwiw.. having it is not a benefit to me, as my 40 ford (with tooltray) only serves to catch junk I should leave at home anyhow..

Overall, it looks solid, other than the mechanical systems check.. the achilleas heel of these cars really is the rocker box.. so look at that close.. as for the lack of mirror, and the added spotlight the best plan on these cars is really door edge accessory mounted mirrors as the cowl mirrors are useless. as such, it doesn't surprise me that the car doesn't currently have exterior mirrors.