Thread: Early Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #12
Gene F

Default Re: Early Oil Pan

Well it depends on who you talk to. Lets face it, the critical thing is the dipper cavities having oil. My car had an engine in it that had never been rebuilt. The odometer said 50,000 and it never blew up. I tell you this, the mess that comes out of the filler tube is much MUCH less with this tray in there. My engine rebuilder told me he didn't want to use it because they only used them a couple of months. My rebuilder is a shop with 5 people, and all they do it antique car engines.

I have yet to find a service bulletin that says if servicing the bottom end the dealer should change the tray on these cars. Could be the tray was a dollar or two more to make... You are the only other car owner I have ever talked to that has one besides me.

If it is less than desirable, then why do so many people drill, or punch holes in their? Not like I have ever heard anyone say if you punch the holes your motor will bow up.

The first time I ever have the pan off of my new engine I will be hard pressed not to swap mine back out. The 1-year warranty is up.

Just because it is different does not mean it is wrong. My 28 has a 7-tooth steering box. The other years are 2-tooth. Guess they were cheaper, and Henry wanted to ring some costs out, so he could hold to his price.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote