View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
hardtimes

Default Re: Suggestions for shipping an early Ford transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I need to ship a complete '35 transmission about halfway accross the USA. I've read posts here in the past describing how some folks have used plastic tubs purchased from big box stores, cut a piece of plywood for the bottom of the tub, then lashed the transmisson to the plywood and bottom of tub, by drilling holes and using several large heavy duty tie straps.
If anyone has any further details on doing this, and/or maybe another good method they have used, I would appreciate you post information here, or sending me a PM on this. Also, which postal carrier would be best to use based on time and cost involved.
Thank you!!
Hey John,
I had one such trans completely destroyed by UPS years ago.
This bad experience comes back to mind when reading your inquiry.
If doing this over again, I think that I'd talk to the company who will do the shipping, about if they provide boxing for shipping. Some do and by doing so, THE company has no one to blame if item is damaged/destroyed due to boxing/packing. My case...mine was crated in wood and buffered with extra boxing. They threw it off of a truck then argued that MY packaging was the cause. Of course, insurance is good idea. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote