View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Second version of the throttle assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I did check an original 1928 model A roadster recently. The car was never molested or restored. The date code on the gas tank was 8/1/1928. It had a type 3 (new 2011 JG's) throttle assembly with the straight area below the bell cranks - no ribs on it. This car should have been right in the middle of the type 2 range. I am 99.9% sure the throttle assembly in this car was never messed with.
Rusty Nelson
This is GOOD info but no surprise. It's very important to make a couple points however. Look closely at what I wrote about cast vs. forged AND flat vs. rounded or raised bottom. You will find looking at the Standards pic (I included below) there are NO forged brackets shown (correctly) except for the type 1. What you describe on the '28 Roadster is forged and not shown in the Standards at all. What you did find is what I called either type 2b or type 2c.

Now here is an important question. Does it have the one piece or two piece forging??? As I noted in my last post it may be tough to tell in the car. However thinking about it I believe that knowing where the seam will be if applicable I believe 85% of the time we could tell by feel reaching around the back with a couple finger tips. I do recommend having a rag handy . Some cars get a bit grimy back there!

I'll reemphasize that we are very confident both the one piece and two piece forgings fall within the "type 2" category. I'm also quite confident the one piece version came first. What we DON'T know is the timelines of both versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
I have 2 forged units with flat bottoms.
The oil holes are not ground flat on top.
1 unit (pictured) has a brass cup.
No wick underneith, just crumbly rust.
That is interesting! Note that the brass cup looks like it MAY have been a "plug" as Ford called it (answering Dudley). It really looks as if it started out solid and was drilled after the fact.