View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #137
joeypoconos

Default Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

I think at this point whether the cutout is opening/closing ( I will replace it with a diode cutout) probably has no bearing on the reason why I originally opened this thread. That is, the high voltage produced by the generator (as high as 10 volts) that caused my lights to go belly-up.
The mystery to me in all of this is why have the voltage readings suddenly gone from a consistent 8 volts or higher until this past Saturday when the readings dropped to a consistent 6.3 volts everywhere with car running at fast idle. So what changed between Friday’s readings and Saturday afternoons?
1. Polarized the generator
2. Removed generator, took it to a shop where it was visually inspected and motor tested. The shop is closing for vacation so that’s as far as we got.
3. Re-installed generator. Could the act of re-installing the generator resulted in an improved ground?
4. Re-installed fan belt. Free play is approximately the same as prior to removal.
5. Changed out the cut-out. Is the cutout grounded to the generator body, if so, could this ground have been improved?
6. Re-installed wires to generator cutout. Could this have resulted in a tighter/improved connection?

So now the questions become, is the reduction in voltage a result of one of the above items? If voltage consistently remains below 7 volts, is it considered normal? If so, should we declare victory, fold up the tents, and call it a day? In any event, going forward I will have the generator checked by the repair shop, and if necessary, take the car over for professional testing albeit, at this stage, I’m not sure what he will be testing for.
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote