View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #64
Willie Krash

Default Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

I wanted to share a like story. My name is Mike btw.
I just brought my first A (I have a T). I put a carb on it, warped Tilly wasn't gonna cut it. Ran smooth as silk. About half way home it started to backfire mildly between shifts so I ran the mixture a little richer. No luck. By the time I got on the 45mph road I was humming along. Then Kaboom, car is barely running and on the shoulder gas running out the carb. Hit it with a wrench at the needle and seat. sat down and watched traffic. Tried to restart after a good while, nope!!

I thought about it for a while. Turned on my cowl lights, nope. Headlights nope..
Checked the fuse on the side of the starter. Popped up out of the the holder (30A SFE) It was too large and would not sit down in the ears and click in...

So here is what I think. At 45MPH the generator is going high, very high. The coil saturates and stops firing. Car floods and slows down. Generator voltage drops coil fires and all that gas lights off, kaboom.
Push the fuse down, drive homes purrs like a kitten.
Oh I had a small tour the next day. Pulled the brake light bulb out and yes indeed, black and blown out. Glad my headlights weren't on.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote