View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
joeypoconos

Default Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

Latest update.

Close visual inspection uncovered the following:
- Terminal box body is cracked.
- Terminal box grommet jury rigged. Found rubber (resembles inner tube rubber) wrapped around the ignition cable as it exits the firewall. The grommet was cut in half, one half was placed over the ignition cable and the junction box cover put in place.
- One of the fuse holder terminal rivets loose. Bypassed the holder by attaching wire directly to starter. With car off, voltage reads 6.5 at all points. Started car, at low and high idle voltage now above 9.5.
- Battery cables appear to have some age. Time for new ones.

For the heck of it, replaced cut out with an original NOS unit. Voltage still 9.5.

Okay, this one is a bit scary. Added another cable to ground. Secured one end to the bolt holding the ‘primary’ ground strap to the cross member. I had previously sanded, scraped, wire brushed the frame several days ago, repeated the process before affixing cables to cross member. Removed transmission bolt, scraped/sanded/wire brushed and bolted on cable. Started car, at low idle checked voltage at the starter. Multi-meter was set for 10 volts, when I probed the starter connection, the meter went off the hook. Shot right past the max for the 10 volt setting. I did not reset the meter to a higher voltage and try again for fear something might be damaged. Instead, I shut her down, went into the house and reached for a cold one, counted to 1000, several times.
Went through Snyder’s catalogue, will send in an order Monday for replacement parts.
The saga will continue upon receipt of parts. All input greatly appreciated.
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote