View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

We got the rear buck pieces together and used the base of it to fit the rear frame structure components. We could form the bottom 'rails' around the outer edge of the wood because the aluminum panel with have a step/character line when it gets to that point, but the upper structure will have to match the contour of the wood, so it was fitted below the wood panel so that it will have the same shape.

This buck was a little more involved with the offset joints, so it took longer to assemble than the front. This rear buck took Ethan and I a little more than 20 minutes to assemble, including the wood screws. These pieces fit so closely that glue is not needed. The tapering of the edges, etc, is going to take some additional time to do. I can see that coming.

This is my first attempt at building bucks, (other than the Model A fenderwell) so am still learning 'stuff'. The lateral metal supports hold the contours untill the panels are in place.

The aluminum 'firewall' was also cut on the waterjet. We added a 'joggle' around the perimeter and cut the hole for the steering column and used the Rotex punch to put holes around the edges.

3wc28 002.jpg

3wc29 003.jpg

3wc29 006.jpg

3wc29 007.jpg

3wc29 010.jpg

3wc30 002.jpg

3wc30 004.jpg