View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #101
Carolynab79

Default Re: The Lee Roy Hartung Collection Auction = Chicago

http://www.wgntv.com/news/morningnews/aroundtown/

Hi Gentlemen, I've seen some of your questions and comments here and joined so I could possibly shed some light. I visited this "museum" several times and he does have quite a conglomeration of stuff. My Dad was an avid Model A restorer and afficionado and I took him there several times along with his two brothers whenever they came to visit. I do live nearby the museum and 1 poster did have it correct that it is just a huge pole barn with no insulation or floor. He would never part with anything by the piece. My Dad asked everytime he went if he would sell a car part, wrench, tool etc, but would never budge. He did tell the Jay Leno story several times and my impression was that he wasn't a fan. Just from my impression and what Mr. Hartung would say while we visited, it sounded to me like he would never sell the "collection" in one lot. As for parking it will be interesting to see what they do for that. The link above is a clip from WGN TV that had showcased the collection/auction and the items they showed did not appear to be in the polebarn where these items were originally. So it looked like they may have moved some of the stuff to another location? There is no campground nearby. There truly is a little of everything. No one mentioned anywhere either that he did have an extensive police badge collection as well. That's actually how I first met him when he would take the collection to local police departments when they would have open houses (I worked at a local PD and saw the collection firsthand). I hope some of this answered some looming questions, and I wish my Dad was still alive to see the auction and be a part of it....he would have loved it.
Carolynab79 is offline   Reply With Quote