View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
WTSHNN

Default Re: The Lee Roy Hartung Collection Auction = Chicago

Sadly, most of the cars are in less than ideal shape. They have spent the past 3(?) decades in an unheated pole barn type enclosure with a dirt/crushed stone floor. Every few years the place would flood and the water would be up over the running boards on some of them. If you look, you see that a lot of the cars appear to be low in the back and high in the front; that is because they have sunk into the ground.

However, there is still some amazing stuff there. There are rumors of him having trailers full of parts. He once told me he has a property in Wisconsin that had 40+ pre-war Indians and dozens of Model T's.

Another rumor is that the entire collection could have been bought while he was living for an easy million. I don't think he'd ever do that. His wife and daughter both died years ago and the museum was not only his thing but it was also a way to get people to come visit him. He had a story for every single thing he had and could tell you where he got it from. You asked "do you have xyz..." he'd wander over to the other side of the barn and sure enough, there it was.

Was truly an amazing collection. I guess it still is.
-Tim

Last edited by WTSHNN; 09-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote