View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Electronic ignition advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Same.

98,000 miles on my NU-Rex. 1st module.
32,000 miles on my '31 S/W FSI 1st module.

I've worked on a couple cars with electronic ignition and the problem has always been an intermittent ground to the module.

But I also have 2 Model A's with the standard system and don't have trouble with those either. I have replaced the points, condensers and distributor bushings a couple times.
I don't have a strong preference.

I get totally what you all are saying.

I guess the thing is most of us claim to be Model-A 'restorers', ...and Yes, most of us like to upgrade things to better our vehicles. I guess if someone wants to install an electronic system just because it makes them feel better or happier, -then I say go for it. I guess I just struggle with the justification some hobbyists use when they claim they need the electronic ignition for more reliability and to be able to tour with their Model-A. A lot of misinformation out there on stuff like this.

Now this is just me personally, but having to invest $50.00 +/- for a spare module as a "just in case", and then going thru the hassle to exchange an electronic module on the side of the road seems pointless when about $20.00 gives you a set of points and condenser to carry if the need ever arose which can be exchanged and set in just a few moments. I suppose this discussion is just like choosing a suitable oil for a Model-A. No right or wrong answer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote