View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #22
johnneilson

Default Re: When is a "Model A" no longer a "Model A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I don't profess that my opinion is the only true belief, as variety is the spice of life. If more people felt that way, we'd have less strife in this country now. But here goes: I got into Model A's because of the simplicity and purity of the design. While driving it, you can feel the mechanisms working and you become part of the machine, unlike the total isolation from the machine in modern cars. Anything that changes that driving experience makes a Model A less of a Model A. High compression head, B engine, fancy carburetors, etc. for more power? Why not just get a car that has more power to begin with? Buicks or Chryslers of the Model A era have plenty of power. Overdrive for higher speed? You're missing the point of driving an antique car! You're trying to duplicate a modern car's performance. Just go modern then if speed is what you need. Juice brakes for better stopping power? Why not just repair your mechanical brakes correctly? I can skid all four wheels on both my A's with the standard mechanical set up. I understand people who like the conveniences of a modern car wrapped in the look of an antique. But in my opinion, these good folks are poseurs.
While there are cars that I just do not care for, I have to respect that someones individuality is their decision.
What I feel really causes the "strife" in current times is the labeling of people, when you don't agree with their decisions. We are all here for different reasons, some to judge, some to just enjoy the distraction away from what are current events.

Be safe, John