View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #1
James Y

Default 1940 P/U WOC1 - Project

This is my take on a 40 p/u military project

At the beginning of WW2, Britain was in desperate need of vehicles to support the British Expeditionary Force fighting in France. Ford's plant in England, Dagenham came up with a prototype 8cwt (800 wt), 4 x 2 truck based on a modified American commercial model OC1, 112" 1/2 ton chassis, Desiginated WOC1 ('WO' for War Office, 'C' for commercial and '1' for first type), it had something of a split personality from the bulkhead forwards, it was virtually the same as the 1940 truck but the cab was of an open, military type, and the rear body, with a removable tilt intended to double as a tent.

Component parts were either manufactured at Dengenham or imported via Ford Canada (my CDN connection), it was right-hand drive and fitted with a 4 spd gearbox. There was no time to embark upon lengthy trails and the prototype was approved within two weeks, with the first order being placed in 1939 for 1000 vehicles. This was followed by another order (1000 Vehicles) a month later. Production commenced on Dec 20 1939 and all vehicles were delivered by 24 July 1940.

The 8 cwt class of vehicle was gradually superseded by the 15cwt class and remaining vehicles were declared obsolescent in 1945. It is not thought that any WOC1's served beyond WW2, with any remaining disposed of pretty quickly.

The only original one that survived as a partial body/chassis, was purchased in 1946 at a military disposal sale by a Mr Chance from the Worcester area who removed the rear body and cab with the intention of fitting a station wagon type wooden body. It lay in the Garden right up to 1984 when a UK enthusiast John Worthing spotted it and began the restoration and completed it in 1984.

My version will not be historically accurate but will carry the same theme.

A few pics of the inspiration.
James Y is offline   Reply With Quote