View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 28 model a roadster front window sill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
At the bottom of the front window, in the middle of the window sill, is a hole. I believe something goes in it to stop the window from coming in when driving my car. No matter how fast I go, maybe too fast the window comes in. I put a bolt in the hole with some rubber grommets to stop the window from coming in. The hole is the same size as the window wiper hole. Does anyone know what goes in that hole and what it looks like. Now that I know how to post a picture I will try and get one tomorrow.
There should not be a hole there unless I am misunderstanding where you are describing. I have take a picture of 3 different 28/29 Roadsters in my shop now (pix below) so that you can see what is 'supposed to be there'. The 3 sets of pictures show one with the Front Belt Rail Panel installed, one without it installed and one without the Cowl Assy. & Tank installed.

As for what is to keep the windshield stationary, it is the tapered/conical cones located on the pivot stud of the windshield frame and the cups inside of the windshield stanchions. All it takes to hold the windshield into any fixed position is to tighten the wingnuts on either side of the stanchion which pulls the tapered cone into the conical cup making an interference fit. The (sole) purpose of the rubber gasket it to stop water and wind from penetrating between the gaps around the windshield frame. It has been my experience where they really do not do a good job of keeping the windshield from moving, -especially if the windshield has been opened at an angle for ventilation.

Regarding the windshield moving, if you cannot lock the windshield in position, I would look at the cones and the cups inside the stanchion to see if they are worn. I would expect to find them worn, and the restorer omitted that step of restoration when the rest of the car was done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6716.jpg (66.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6721.jpg (74.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6717.jpg (37.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6719.jpg (56.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6718.jpg (52.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6720.jpg (49.3 KB, 47 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote