View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
700rpm

Default A question for old guys

For my friends also in their "golden years:” How are you coping with the aging process vis-a-vis working on your A? Personally, with arthritis and a sensitive back, I am increasingly reluctant to get under the cars for even something as elemental as checking the fluid level in the trans or doing a full chassis lube job. Major mechanics I would have tackled even just ten years ago, at the tender age of 65, now seem beyond my realistic capabilites. Pull an engine? A tranny? Nope. A rear end? Yikes!

I don’t have any grandchildren, inlaws, or step children who can help. My long-time go-to shop has essentially closed down for Covid, but at his age, maybe forever. My former club is populated by a similar aged group, and is not an option.

I wouldn’t trust any local auto repair shops (they all think my ‘91 VW is an antique auto and refuse to work on it. I sure wouldn’t trust my A to any of them!)
I’ll be 76 in 3 months, and I honestly don’t know how I’m going to accomplish the basic maintenance on my A’s that I’ve been doing for the last 50 years.

How about you? If your age is presenting similar problems, what are you doing, or what is your plan?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote