View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Chris

Default New lease on life for my 1933 Ford pickup ***VIDEO ON 3RD PAGE!***

Sorry guys- I know this is a little hot roddy...

My poor ol 33 pickup has been sitting engine-less for a year and a half. I had decided that I wanted a little more pep then the 1934 221 that was in it. My brother made a deal to buy the 221, so out it came.
Earlier that year I bought a Model T hot rod project that was abandoned in the 60's. It had a rebuilt 59AB in it that had never ran. After talking to the seller, I discovered he had purchased the reman at S&S Engines here in Spokane in the late 60's. My grandfather Roy worked there during that time, and did all the antique engine rebuilds. I cannot prove it but I'm sure my grandpa built that engine. So I bought it, sold off the T and planned on running that engine in the pickup.
But, I also needed to fill about 17 crudely cut holes in the firewall. That hurtle kind of stopped me. I just found other things to do and suddenly it's a year and a half later. Around Christmas I got the hitch to get the truck back on the road. This summer is gonna be a busy one for me with non-car projects...I know my extra time will be very little and if I wanted to get the ol mule on the road, it's gotta be ready by spring
So, I ripped all the old insulation off the back of the firewall, stripped everything off of it, buffed the years of paint and rust off, and started filling holes. Actually was not near the job I was dreading.

My friend Dusty offered to help me prep and paint it in his heated shop. So a lil mud work and a few coats of primer and she got shot. It's not too bad for a quicky lacquer job. I wanted a dull (but not flat) finish to go along with the rest of the truck

So. With that done, I installed a new firewall insulation on the back side, and got working on the engine. My dad and I took it apart as it needed cleaned from years of sitting. Everything inside looked good, so back together it went (with a cam upgrade as it had a stock cam in it).

I'm just about done with it, going to fire and run it this weekend in my dad's trusty run in stand. If all goes well ill mate the engine with the 39 trans I rebuilt for the trck and stuff em in. Then it's just some wiring/plumbing work and she'll be back to rippin around town once the weather gets a little better.

Last edited by Chris; 02-28-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote