View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #922
Jim Brierley

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Continuation: This was a NATO project, so don't tell anyone I posted the above, it may be classified info, or maybe not at this time? After being on the island for about 4 weeks, they decided a different fueling rig was needed for the missiles, so they flew a British Lance Corporal and myself to the mainland, where we traveled South to Coventry to get such a rig. It was an American 5-ton, so driving it on the wrong side of the road was, let's say, interesting! I kept trying to get the Brit to drive but he deferred to me, wonder why??? The first leg of our South-bound trip was on a steam train, yeah steam! This was the Summer of '62. The 2nd leg was on a diesel train, diesel only. It looked like a series of street cars and with the sun shining we could see that every-other car had a smoke stack with smoke coming out the top. It had 3-speed transmissions, smoothly shifted by the engineer. The last leg was on a modern diesel-electric train. That whole Summer was an extremely interesting time in my life!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)