View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #11
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Houston....We have a problem

Part of my trade is steel fabrication involved with equipment repair.Structural fabrication in wood or steel requires abstract thinking and rigid attention to detail. Abstract thought means you consider every possible outcome of the task,will the structure lose its integrity when disassembled?the abstract thought process also requires visualization of the tasks required to perform the repair, given the complexity of the task,even after 40 years fabrication this process can still keep me up at night.
Once the process is hammer out in the abstract I take precise measurements of all structure prior to disassembly.One of the keys to avoid this outcome is to have a point of reference,I call it a 'god',a constant to work from.In this case it would be the quarter panel,the structure would fit the quarter correctly,then fasten to the deck.

Avoid reverse analyzing a failure,or attempting to fix an issue by losing structural rigidity,I would disassemble,fit to the quarter and fab a new piece once I found the issue.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote