View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Houston....We have a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
About all I can say is that the side or vertical components should fit with the vertical body panel when placed in proper location. If they don't fit well with the body then the wood vertical members would be suspect or at least some part of them. The horizontal members that tie them together are part of the fit too.
If the vertical and interconnecting horizontal members do fit well with the large rear body panels then the sill and floor members could be suspect. I tend to trust original members like you but it has been a long time since the original manufacture. It's hard to verify if they are original or not at this stage of the game.
Agreed. However, this is what vexes me so. All of the vertical and horizontal members fit as they should and the floor is exactly the same length as the original. The brackets that the front door posts and the rear door posts are anchored to can only really go in one place. The problem pretty much HAS to be that I did something wrong when making the bottom wood/floor but I can't for the life of me see what that could be. The whole rear section of the skeleton need to come forward an inch but there is no way to do that that I can see without changing.shortening the floor and I know for a fact that the floor is the correct length now as shown in the picture with a piece of the original floor laying on the new one.

Quote:
Most wood kits require fit and finish adjustments but they are generally in the ball park for fit with minor adjustments to get it all where it has to be to work. A person always wonders whether a member is a little bit long or short. A little bit long can be managed but a little bit short, not so much. Those wood kits ain't cheap but a person has to verify where the ill fitment exists before going back to the fabricator of the wood products. Some may still be correct while others may not. You definitely have a puzzle there. I just hope there are a few other experienced folks that can help you more with this.
I have no plans on going back to the wood manufacturer. I seriously doubt that the problem lies with them. Since I used the pictorial by Brent Terry, I know he did one of these and am hoping he will see this and be able to point me to my problem. I can shorten the whole back end to make it fit but that should NOT be necessary.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote