View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
dlshady

Default Re: New build thread - My son's first car

Thanks guys,

He's having a blast and seems to be learning a lot in the process, so I'm thrilled. There has been a lot of discussion lately (and not all good) about the younger generation and their interest in the hobby so I thought some of you guys might like to know that there really are young people out there who have a genuine interest in this old scrap iron. Heck, he's already asking about whether or not he can take his driving test in this thing 3 1/2 years from now!

And Andy, those rags wrapped around the running board brackets were one of the first things we did when that frame came into the shop. We're doing a 32 Plymouth for a customer right now and I can't tell you how many times I whacked my shin on those, so I figured I'd just save everybody the hassle and cover 'em up. He's almost finished with that coil box you sent too, and I'll be sure to post photos when he is. I had to laugh the other day because I showed him how to fill small rust pits with glazing putty and he worked on that thing nearly all day. You'd have thought it was the Mona Lisa the way he was working on it....

Near the end of the day he went outside to paint it and came back in almost in tears. When I asked what had happened he explained that something must be wrong with the paint because it had run really bad! All I could do was laugh and try to explain that those things happen when you try to put too much paint on something too fast, and that he'd better put his big girl panties on because it wouldn't be the last time it would happen. I don't think he understood what I was trying to say, but he'll get it eventually..... Some lessons we just gotta learn the hard way...

Thanks again guys,
Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote